From 21 September 1990 to 02 December 1990
Curated by Rudi Fuchs, Johannes Gachnang and Cristina Mundici
This exhibition presented over 100 works on paper belonging to the Josef Haubrich collection, which was originally donated to the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum in 1946 and is currently held in the Ludwig Museum in Cologne, Germany. Joseph Haubrich was a lawyer, intellectual, and a champion of German Expressionist art, which he began to collect avidly in the 1920s, concentrating on the graphic works. Haubrich was closely connected with many of the artists whose work he collected, and continued to support their work even when it came under attack as “degenerate art” by Hitler’s regime. The collection now constitutes one of the most impressive – yet compact – collections of Expressionist art in the world.
As well as presenting the masterpieces themselves, the exhibition focused on activities and phenomena that played a crucial role in the development of art in the 20th century: collecting, the relationship between private collectors and public museums and galleries, and the factors that determined the creation of museum collections.